For me it was quite confusing to find the 2019 version of LocalDB and it is not a streamline process to upgrade your local default instance.
The easiest way to upgrade your LocalDB instance to 2019 is:
- Download the LocalDB 2019 installer by using the SQL Server Express installer.
- Run the installer and select “Download Media”.
- Select “LocalDB” + click Download.
- Before running the SqlLocalDB.msi installer, delete your current MSSQLLocalDB instance:
sqllocaldb stop MSSQLLocalDB sqllocaldb delete MSSQLLocalDB
- Run the new SqlLocalDB.msi (2019) installer. It will create a new MSSQLLocalDB instance.
- RESTART YOUR PC! (Otherwise MS SQL Management Studio will still tell you you have an old version running, etc. etc.)
- Now you can re-attach your original databases one by one using SQL Server Management Studio (RClick + Attach…)