For me it was quite confusing to find the 2017 version of LocalDB and it is not a streamline process to upgrade your local default instance. The link for “SQL Server 2017 Express LocalDB” on official website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-editions-express) leads to “SQLServer2016-SSEI-Expr.exe” which runs a SQL Server 2016 with SP2 installer. Now what?
The easiest way to upgrade your LocalDB instance to 2017 is:
- Download the LocalDB 2017 installer directly:
- Before running the installer, delete your current MSSQLLocalDB instance:
sqllocaldb stop MSSQLLocalDB sqllocaldb delete MSSQLLocalDB
- Run the LocalDB 2017 installer. It will create a new MSSQLLocalDB instance.
- [OPTIONAL] If you did not delete the older instance before running the installer, you can delete it now and recreate the instance. It will be created as new version:
sqllocaldb stop MSSQLLocalDB sqllocaldb delete MSSQLLocalDB sqllocaldb create MSSQLLocalDB
- Now you can re-attach your original databases using SQL Server Management Studio (RClick + Attach…)